I was too hasty to get a before photo, but here's an idea of it's former
I don't have an overlocker, but did take the time to zig zag stitch the edges to reinforce them.
But I took plenty of shortcuts - like boxing the corners instead of cutting & sewing side panels.
They turned out pretty well (for a first attempt).
The sanding and finishing of the woodwork took longer than the sewing.
I opted for a waxed finish on the wood.
The fabric is very hardy and a lovely bluey-grey colour and with a delicate herringbone pattern - and only $12/m.
I used one metre.
Other shortcuts included not replacing zips (not my forte) - instead I've used some valcro on one cushion, and when that wasn't fun either, I simply hand sewed shut the other cushion.
You can't tell.
And if it ever needs to be removed to wash, it'll be easy to snip it open and sew shut again.
The old chair had a couple of domes that held the cushions securely to the frame.
I'm still using the old domes underneath, with the new fabric hand stitched onto the parts you can see - but you'd never know to look at it.
My lessons learned:
+ Choosing a chair/project that is within your technical proficiency. (No upholstery required here)
+ Take shortcuts where it won't be visible or structurally integral.
+ Use an upholstery weight fabric.
+ Best sewing thing I've ever learned is to invisibly stitch (the ladder stitch - plenty of tutorials online) - if you don't already know how, you won't regret learning this ever.