Thursday, 9 May 2013

Holiday snap happy

Whether it's the trip of a lifetime, or a long weekend somewhere nearby, photos keep the memory alive after the experience is over.

They also communicate your trip to friends and family.

They may even go on to become pieces of art gracing the walls or your home.

Because for many of us, the otherside of the world is not a regular destination, it pays to get some basics right when you take - or make - the image.

Earlier I promised to share some of my mistakes with you: please learn from them :)

1) I must remember to examine the perimeter of my viewfinder: the cropping of the top of the righthand building in the Umbrian capital of Perugia was easily preventable. 
And I could have waited for that car to move...


2) Who's growing things out of their head? Be the director of the art - ask people to move, or change your position, if heads start sprouting branches or fleur de lis

Gubbio, Umbria - some of my traveling companions. 

3) Another example of the virtue of patience: there was a man in this photo below.
I didn't want him to be in it.
A bit of 'photoshopping' has more or less (not perfectly - I can tell where the damage has been done...) eradicated his presence - but I could have saved myself that editing time, if I'd waited for him to reach the corner.

Perugia, Umbria

4) Clean my lens: see that soft focus area in the centre of this image from Florence?
Uh oh.
Reviewing images more carefully on my camera screen might also have limited the impact of this lens smudge.
Luckily I went to Florence twice and have a second set of photos without the blur.

The Golden Bridge, Florence, Tuscany 

5) Straighten my horizons: a little more care/time when framing the shot.
I find my horizons are more likely to be wonky if I'm taking a portrait orientated photo or I am myself in an unbalanced position (e.g. trying to take a low angled shot) - still just excuses.
Fortunately again, many photo editing programmes can usually fix this mis-take.

In my defence this image of Assisi was taken from a moving vehicle. 

6) Angle of the sun: Generally speaking, photos taken in the middle of the day, with the sun at its highest casting the harshest light, will be flat and less interesting (and less flattering where people are involved)...

Middle of the day in Gubbio, Umbria 

... than the soft low angled light that comes early or late in the day.

Dusk in Venice

Ever considered that rationale for a midday siesta?

Happy travels. Happy memories.

xx

Mel

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your tips, but I still think you have taken some stunning photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leanne :) The majority of my photos I am very happy with, so shouldn't complain too much about these few out of a tally of thousands... always good to learn and improve tho

      Delete