Saturday, 24 May 2014

Seven skirts in 7 days


A-skirt-a-day-for-7-days Challenge


Over the past week, I've been undertaking this wee challenge.





Using only what I had (fabric, ribbons and trims, cotton etc), I set out to make 7 unique skirts.


The skirts were shared one-by-one, day-by-day on The Penny Drops' Facebook page.


Some were more time consuming than others.


And some utilised long-favoured and savoured fabric.


Most were for the children in our lives, but I did break out the much larger quantity of fabric required to make myself a skirt.


And if Facebook 'likes' are anything to judge by, this was the most popular with followers of the skirt-a-thon too.


It felt like the week-of-making-skirts had peaked at this point, but the fabrics that came together for skirt number 7, ensured the week ended on a high.


I feel the need to give a wee bit of background to the exercise.

As you probably know, I'm a stay-at-home-mum of three kids, at least one of whom is with me at all times. 

So The Penny Drops happens at night. Once all three are in bed - which gives me about 2 hours a day to make this happen. 

Hence one skirt a day was a fitting target.

Some were quick and easy, but others more time consuming, so they weren't linearly made a day at a time.

I also don't own an overlocker. So it's French seams and bias trim all the way to ensure those pesky raw edges are safely tucked away...


Anyway, it's been fun. I've got a few other jobs to catch up on now and a birthday party looming, but already thinking ahead to the next 7 day challenge...

Open to suggestions!

xx

Mel









No comments:

Post a Comment